Got a Samsung Infuse when they first came out. So yeah, mine is now ‘old’. All of a sudden about a month ago, battery life went into the dumper. Charge to 100% before going to bed, then in the morning less than 50% remaining. Also noted that the Samsung Infuse case seemed warmer than expected. Not hot enough to really cause me concern, but generally warmer.
First thought was I’d installed something that was draining the battery. Has happened before. Some app leaves the GPS searching for a signal and wham, no battery life. So started uninstalling recent installs No difference.
Second thought, is the battery just ‘old’, ie no longer has the same mah capacity? LiPo, that happens. So a test, fully charge, shut off the phone, go to bed. In the morning, power up, check the battery, 50%. Yikes! even ‘turned off’ so beginning to suspect a LiPo whisker or something shorting inside the battery draining the life during the night (basically self discharging). But… you know ‘turned off’ really isn’t ‘off’ with these things. So….
Third thought, another test. same as before. fully charge, ‘turn off’ phone, but this time remove the battery. Now the Infuse is really off! Come morning, put the battery back in, power up, 98%. Wow! so apparently it’s not the battery, it’s something in the phone (even ‘turned off’) is massively draining the battery. Would certainly explain the ‘warmer than expected’ temp and the significantly reduced battery life. Except that once I set the phone down and a few minutes later try to unlock it, it’s completely dead. No Power, nothing. remove the battery, reinsert battery, nothing. no Samsung display, nothing, dead, dead, dead…
Now what to do… Start thinking some more about it and remember that the last time I went jogging, using the RunKeeper app, the phone seemed a little warm and that’s about the time things started going south. So now another theory emerges, that I got some sweat in the power switch and it’s preventing the Infuse from turning on. At this point figuring that the phone is dead anyway, rip it open and try to clean the power switch.
Found this Phone Doctors video on opening the Infuse. Seemed pretty easy, and what do I have to lose? And sure enough, the phone is pretty easy to open up. And then…. it becomes obvious what the problem is. It’s not the power switch. Appears a bit of sweat got on the back of the phone near the camera, leaked around the camera and on to the main board. There’s 3 or 4 caps and likely resistors covered with green salt corrosion. Yikes, that’s the problem. not the power switch…
At this point, wonder if it’s even salvageable, but again, nothing to lose, so scrape off the crud with a wooden tooth pick. Try to power up again. Nothing… I think what happened is that w/ the battery in, the short remained hot. removing the battery over night allowed everything to cool, reinserting the battery the short got hot again and the thermal cycle pulled loose a solder joint. sigh….
So, assuming bad solder joint, pull out the trusty soldering iron, crank it up fairly hot (assuming unleaded solder) and applied so heat to the components that were shorted. Crossed fingers, replaced the battery, hit the power switch and…. “Samsung” proudly displays on the Infuse screen! success One raised from the dead Samsung Infuse.